I like WOW's Randomize Name function

I prefer role-playing or social games, which World of Warcraft definitely is. This post is my first of many upcoming entries about things I specifically think WOW has done well compared to many other RPG’s I’ve played over my lifetime.


This entry is praising the Randomize function when selecting a name for your new character.


The Randomizer is great for brand new folk who haven’t even thought of a name for their character on World of Warcraft, or for those whose primary, secondary and tertiary choices are all taken and who are getting impatient for a name that works. Please note, you’ll want to add a couple of letters after what comes up, or you’ll find the Randomizer names are also taken ;)


Personally, I’ve got a handful of names that I use on Role Playing games online. I’ve been playing offline since 1984 and online since 1991 and have selected names over the years that weren’t common and thus allow me to use them in most all games I play online.


However, sometimes I don’t want to play as “me”, I want to have a completely unknown name, and having played The Sims 2 a lot in the last year, I have recently been reminded of my longing for a name randomizer.


There are flaws in the presence of the Randomizer in that those names will more likely be taken and more likely be common across Realms (yet be different players behind the keyboard, making communication confusing perhaps), but personally I would use the Randomizer to give me ideas for new names. I’m one of those kind of people who likes to put my own twist on things if it isn’t going to bother anyone that I do so.


The Randomizer was great for when I was first checking out the stories of the various races on World of Warcraft - I didn’t have to type a name, I just clicked the Randomizer a few times, added a letter or two to the end of the name that came up, and logged in that way.


I love the World of Warcraft name randomizer!